Well, Mike, I believe that any list of books claiming an affect  upon the
world would be eclectic. Perhaps, though, my list is geared more  to the Western
world. As to Peyton Place changing the world, it did change  perceptions as to
middle class America.  At the time Peyton Place was  published, there was a
belief that although "sin" could certainly be found in  large cities, small
town people led rather "moral" and boring lives, and that  only "bad" girls had
sex outside of marriage. Peyton Place changed that  perception and, in fact,
the book was widely banned at the time. Giovanni's Room  actually affected my
perceptions.  I read it in college.  It's written  by James Baldwin.  It's about
a young American man traveling through Europe  after college before he is to
go home and begin his career. While in Europe, he  becomes engaged to a
Swedish woman(I believe) and while she is visiting her  family, he remains in Paris
and meets and falls in love with an Italian man  (Giovanni).  What's so
startling about this book is the character's  realization of his homosexuality and
Baldwin's real(he was gay himself)  portrayal of homosexuals.  Until that time,
I had met few gays and largely  thought about them as they had been portrayed
in movies or by comics, as  strange cartoon characters.  Another starting
aspect of this book is its  lack of "race."  James Baldwin is black, but the
characters could be either  black or white.  It's not relevant.

Regards,

Kate

In a message dated 4/2/2006 4:55:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,