THE ELDERSTATESMAN has as its base, Sophocles' OEDIPUS AT COLONUS,
in which Oedy's presence in a grove figures significantly. Claverton's
reverie
under the beech tree at the end, reflects OE @ C. The difference is that
OE @ C's grove consists of  shade giving vines, olive trees and laurel,
if the translation I have is accurate. Eliot's variance is obviously then,
meant to be
significant. The beech is obviously not an olive, nor a yew, nor is it a
juniper.
The ASH WEDNESDAY white leopards wouldn't fit here very well.
OFF TOPIC ISSUE:

At least I know you (ie Nancy G.) have read the point of the play.

The Oxford lexicographers made no such note as yours.
They also observe the use of MAN as generic in the entry on that word
(much too longt o reproduce here). It is given as the second entry
and then here and there throughout. They indicate that it can be used
as synonymous with person or one. They do observe that some people
consider it sexist.

Should you wish to welcome them to your club as well,
their address is Oxford University Press,
70 Wynford Drive,
Don Mill, Ontario M3C 1J9

My own preference to the phrase "politically correct" is a bit awkward
but I think more precise: "infected by sexual politics".

P.