Here is something computers and math cannot do (by definition I am
sure):  know whether I intend a restrictive or nonrestrictive clause
where it is optional.  Hence the pointlessness of grammar checks, which
do not seem to know any grammar.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 4/10/2006 3:03 pm >>>
Three is an entire field called 'Knowledge Representation' which exists
do things exactly like this.

In regard to the recent comments on Diderot, there is a project called
'Cyc'
which is intended to encode all of the common sense and other knowledge
that
people use (Cyc as in encyclopedia). For example, Cyc is supposed to be
able
to surmise and thus know that if Alice is the mother of Bob then by
implication Alice is older than Bob. It would be able to build up a set
of
rules and facts that would allow it to understand how the world
operates.

Cyc is a massive database project that has been going on for many
years. Cyc
was supposed to be able to take human-level queries about real world
issues
and create useful answers. Now if Cyc were able to do this, it would be

known far outside the AI community. Since it is not, this is the answer
your question on the ability of mathematics to represent real world
knowledge. Determining that the mother of Bob is older than Bob is a
significant achievement for this program. Now consider this program
understanding or writing poetry.

Knowledge beyond the trivial is beyond the scope of mathematics.