I don't recall whether any of the articles specifically address
Nicholson, but Huk's _Assembling Alternatives:  Reading Postmodern
Poetries Transnationally_ (Wesleyan UP, 2003) would be a good source for
the rethinking I mentioned.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/10/06 3:39 AM >>>
Dear Listers,

I'm researching the life and works of the above, and it's already very
obvious that there will be many connections of all kinds with TSE. I
haven't
established yet the depth or frequency of  the actual contacts my
subject  had with
TSE, nor have I attempted any evaluation of literary  context /
stylistic
influences, but here is an extract from the  biographical notes which
accompany
his archived personal papers at the  University of Manchester [the
footnote (6)
in the text refers to a specific item  of these]:

..............Just a year later his own first collection, Five Rivers,
was
published by Faber and Faber where T.S. Eliot was a director. Eliot,
whom
Nicholson first met at the Faber offices in 1938, had had a great
influence on
the formation of Nicholson's poetic style; he later commented that
'Eliot, to
me, was not just the beginning of modern poetry, he was the beginning of

poetry.' 6 Five Rivers , containing poems in varied styles on themes
such as
Cumbria, the War, and religion, won the first Heinemann Prize for
Poetry. Similar
themes run through Nicholson's second collection, Rock Face,  published
by
Faber in 1948.

It's my profound opinion that Norman Nicholson's work deserves far
greater
and wider recognition than it has so far been given: in part, this was
of his
own making: for example, he remained all his life living and working
from in
the  same house in which he was born in a very small and isolated
industrial
town in  northern England and he had no university education at all.
Rather than
me  ramble on any more about my subject, there's a most excellent web
resource  (intended for schools) at:-

_http://www.cleo.net.uk/resources/displayframe.php?src=181/consultants_resourc
es%2F%2Fenglish%2Fnorman3%2Findex.html_
(http://www.cleo.net.uk/resources/displayframe.php?src=181/consultants_resources//english/norman3/index.html)
+

Any pointers or comments or opinions from  any List members regarding
any of
the above would be most welcome indeed.

Thank you and best regards to all.

David Boyd