I think it admirable that you make a point of knowing.  Why is that not
a good thing?  It means you went to the trouble of finding out.

You are right that knowing and feeling are different.  But then many
people have found that terrible words "resonate" for them.  Is it ok to
say them (words like nigger or kike or slut) if they resonate with your
feelings?  It does matter what words mean and what their "semantic
history" has been.  When we use them, we continually reconstruct a
world.  And that world is benevolent or destructive for others whom we
name.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/09/06 1:46 PM >>>
I said it resonates; knowing and feeling are not the same.  Eliot knew
that.  I'm not saying my feeling about the word is good or that I go
around finding opportunities to offend, but why should I lie about how
the language is deep inside?

I hope I don't make a point of knowing, but of those pertinent things I
know or wonder about.

Best,
Marcia