I said it resonates; knowing and feeling are not the same.  Eliot knew that.  I'm not saying my feeling about the word is good or that I go around finding opportunities to offend, but why should I lie about how the language is deep inside?

I hope I don't make a point of knowing, but of those pertinent things I know or wonder about.

Best,
Marcia

Nancy Gish wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Except it does not, in fact, mean that.  It means whatever is
convenient--and politically that has been a disaster in addition to a
linguistic falsehood.  That it "resonates" does not affect its
linguistic and historical status.  This seems oddly out of character
since you make a point of knowing facts and history.
Nancy

[log in to unmask] 04/09/06 9:57 AM >>>

Brother Ken, Brother CR, make room for me in your pew.
"Man" still resonates for me, in some instances, as humankind.

Marcia

Ken Armstrong wrote:

--On Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:42 PM -0500 Carrol Cox