Except it does not, in fact, mean that.  It means whatever is
convenient--and politically that has been a disaster in addition to a
linguistic falsehood.  That it "resonates" does not affect its
linguistic and historical status.  This seems oddly out of character
since you make a point of knowing facts and history.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/09/06 9:57 AM >>>
Brother Ken, Brother CR, make room for me in your pew.
"Man" still resonates for me, in some instances, as humankind.

Marcia