--On Saturday, April 08, 2006 2:36 PM -0500 Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> No you may not because it is no longer the generic term. In (morally and
> politically decent) English of the present "man" refers only to the male
> gender. Its use as a generic term is anachronistic and vulgar.

 Just observing actual usage, this seems not to be true, though there is
certainly a movement afoot to make it so, as your finger wagging
exemplifies. However, I think such usages are more deeply rooted and
resonant than political criticisms such as yours credit them for, which is
why they continue, even among decent and moral people.

Ken A.