Nancy Gish wrote:

> That is not what Eliot said either.  He said "But, of course, only those
> who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape
> from these things."  Escape is quite different from transcend.

I'm not sure what it would mean to speak of transcending emotions and/or
personality. In any case neuroscience has now progressed to the point
that we know that without emotion thought is impossible, just as without
thought emotion is impossible. (Emotions occur in a separate part of the
brain, but unless that part is operative the other parts are not.) Hence
to transcend emotion would be something like becoming an amoeba or (at
the most complex) a round worm.

Escaping emotion or personality is not all that intelligible for that
matter, but I believe Eliot himself someplace remarks on his
disconcerting ability to coin phrases that take on an (undesirable) life
of their own. (I really don't remember where he says that; perhaps
someone can amplify and/or correct.)

Carrol

I got thoroughly tired of the subject line but left in "Tyger" to make
searching for the whole thread in an inbox not too inconvenient.