As it happens, that is not what "negative capability is about."  Nor is
Eliot's theory of impersonality, though I fail to see how it is combined
with "control."  But as you seem to be completely in agreement with
Tabitha and me and contradicting Peter since you focus on the "liberty"
with language of "a man" who "knows" it, why are you praising his
commitment to not "knowing" any particular "language" that is
consistent?   "Taking liberties" with something already there is, of
course, the point, minus the assumption of language being a male
preserve.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/08/06 9:18 AM >>>
I'm also reminded of Keats' "Negative Capability"
  in the context of Shakespeare. It's not a case of
  one's being a turncoat, a scarecrow that turns with
  every wind. Only a man who knows his language
  can take liberties with the language.

  Thanks again.

  ~ CR

cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Thanks, Peter, for your superb elucidation of
  "mind-forged manacles" vis-a-vis spellings.
  Your closing observation

    Is there a fear of loss of power through loss of control here?
  Dare we let ordinary people take back the language for themselves?
  Guess what? It doesn't matter. They're doing it anyway.

  reminds me of TSE's concept of Impersonality/Control.

  Regards.

  ~ CR

  What's wrong with being wrong? Seems rather unfortunate to
me to avoid speculation based on what one knows, just to
avoid being wrong. Since lives on being wrong.

Why do there need to be rules for variation?
What is wrong with open-ended exploration?
If the written language in all its incredible variations and
off-shooots could last for a millenium without a lexicon,
why does it need one now, after only three centuries?

Conventions are not the same things as standards.
An e on the end or not is irrelevant. A double consonant
is irrelevant. The demands of sound would be the guide,
not the demands of the lexicon.

Chaucer can seem pretty difficult when first experienced as
writing, but once the oral dimension is introduced, all the little
pfennigs tend to drop into place.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Is there a fear of loss of power through loss of control here?
Dare we let ordinary people take back the language for themselves?
Guess what? It doesn't matter. They're doing it anyway.

P.