Dear Marcia,

Thank you.  I've been trying to make that point, but this is precise and
clear.  All deviation, including breaking syntax and changing spelling
and splitting words and tossing about morphemes works in its contrast to
an expected norm.  With no norm there is no meaning.

Even the non-standardized and/or phonetic spelling of Scots works partly
as a deliberate send-up of English and a deliberate celebration of the
local.  And anyone in Scotland will know the many sound differences and
make the adjustments.  Had Scotland remained a fully separate nation
politically and economically as well as culturally, religiously, and
judiciously, I expect its spelling would also now be standardized.

Weel, weel.  A'm here because
A' canny hawnle life, ken whit A' mean,
because everything is awfy
and A'm no masell.
               ---from "Ma Broom Visits a Therapist,"  Jackie Kay

I'm sure anyone can figure this out pretty quickly, but the sounds are
very different, and if you heard a Glaswegian say it, you might not.
The rhythms and stresses are different as well as the sounds.   And it
does matter to recognize the kind of character "Ma Broom" has to be.

Cheers,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/04/06 10:08 AM >>>
Yes, and without standard spelling they wouldn't be notable.

Marcia