George Carless wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:08:12AM -0400, Marcia Karp wrote:
> > Yes, and without standard spelling they wouldn't be notable.
>
> This is so true.  I think that Peter fails to realize that the punning
> of which he is so fond *relies* upon a standard spelling.

This is generalizable. I think what first attracted me to Pope's poems
was the unending variety he could achieve within rigid limits, how the
couplet 'discipine' enabled very small variations to carry immense
implications.

	"One would not, sure, be frightful when one's dead--
	"And--Betty--give this Cheek a little Red."
		(Epistle to Cobham, 257-8)

Narcissa's halting words as she dies would lose much of their power in a
"freer" form.

Or the enormous reach of human possibility that Austen captures in the
confined little social circles in which her characters move.

Carrol