At 01:07 PM 4/11/2006, you wrote:

>We have heard much about the poetry of mathematics,
>but very little of it has as yet been sung.

  Can you imagine math as your mother tongue?

>  The ancients
>had a juster notion of their poetic value than we.

  Which ancients?

>  The most
>distinct and beautiful statements of any truth must take
>at last the mathematical form.

  Plato, in favor of the mathematical and abstract, wanted to give poetry
the boot from his Republic. Seems like the above might confuse "theorem"
and "proof" with "truth." I don't think purifying the dialect of the tribe
takes us to mathematical expression. Can't mathematical expression be
beautiful without supplanting language?

Ken A.