In addition to what Jeff said, I talked to a student here doing tracking
research on bobcats in NEMO who was contacted about a series of mountain
lion sighting right outside the city of Kirksville. Apparently there were
three independent sightings in an immediate area and all of them appeared to
be pretty solid when scoped out (people knew their stuff, wasn't a deer or
bobcat)- probably just one cat roaming around. Wild? Released? Who knows.

Also, a Bio professor told me he came upon a track at Sugar Creek State
Forest that was very suspect. That's pretty close to the area that I think
Jeff was talking about where someone else encountered a mountain lion...in
which I heard (and this story has been passed 2 or 3 times through the
telephone game) that the encounter consisted of a hiker coming upon one and
the mountain lion taking a look and running away.

Can't vouch for the sightings since I wasn't there, but knowing some people
involved, my opinion is that at least some are valid. Who knows.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair County