I have a 20 acre nature reserve with woods, prairie, pond, and a large bird garden stocked with a dozen feeders in Lincoln County near Hawk Point. I started developing this place 25 years ago because of my interest in plants.  As the plantings matured, I began to see and hear more and more birds, and I realized I had inadvertently created excellent bird habitat.  I started feeding and then seriously studying the birds three years ago.  So far I have identified 106 species here.

For three weeks my reserve has been full of the songs and calls of Northern Bobwhite, Killdeer, Mourning Dove, Red-bellied, Downy, Hairy and Pileated Woodpeckers, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jay, American Crow, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, American Tree, Song, Swamp and White-throated Sparrows, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, Purple and House Finches, and American Goldfinch.

Last week I was surprised by a Spotted Towhee hopping around in the leaf litter, a Fox Sparrow perching in the magnolia, a Merlin flying sorties from the electric line along the prairie edge, a Field Sparrow singing softly and sweetly in the plum tree, and a river of Snow Geese flowing directly above the garden.

Today in the snow an Eastern Towhee, a trio of Rusty Black Birds, and at least 3 "Oregon" Juncos were among the birds swarming the feeders, and the two tall oriental junipers were decorated with at least a hundred Robins feasting on the only available berries.

Jerry Brown
Lincoln County