Hi everyone,

Well, the owlet is holding his own.  I am now restricting my checks on him  by staying inside and standing on a chair to look.  One of the adults is perched in our yard, where she can really keep an eye on him.  He is resting now, but was sitting up and very alert a little while ago.

Last night, Linda Tossing returned my call about 6 pm.  After our talk, I emailed my neighbors:

Linda Tossing, from the World Bird Sanctuary, agreed that it was most likely that the little guy fell out of the nest.    There are several reasons why we must stay away from the little bird.  The Great Horned Owls are known as 'Flying Tigers' and can become very aggressive if their young appear to be threatened.  That's why we hear the mom calling if any of us get near.  So, let's stay away.  There is also a chance that the adults will abandon it- they must be free to be feeding it 24 hours a day.  Linda is going to show the photos I sent to her, to an expert at the Sanctuary.  Hopefully, they'll be able to give me an idea of age, and if there is any need to do anything else.  Linda thought it was not necessary to get the bird back up in the nest, as the nest is most likely very high up in the tree.  I agreed, and described to her the two possible nest sites I knew of in the tree.  If we want the owlet to survive, we have to leave them alone.  She assured me that they are acclimated to the weather here, and we'll just have to hope for the best.

My dilemna:

Though the neighbors mean well, a few have gotten really too close to the bird.  I hope this experience will be an education for the adults as well as the children, and that they will heed the warning to stay away.  I really struggled initially with whether I should even tell any of the neighbors about the owlet.  But, the property owners are often out in the yard, and I was worried they might start up the mower and not realize where the bird was, etc.  This pair of owls fledged two young last year.  They are obviously pretty comfortable in their territory here.  SO, I really hope we'll all be proud to say the little guy makes it!  He is pretty irresistibly cute...

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis County, MO