On March 19, 2006 Sarah Pelc [log in to unmask] Columbia, MO, asked: "PS.
How do I find out the rules and guidelines for posting on this e-mail
list? Thank you!"

Well Sarah, when anyone joins the MOBirds-L listserv they are
automatically mailed a document that gives them the rules and
guidelines. But let me summarize for you, and others, the pertinent
pieces in case you didn't retain that message.

POSTING

Messages should be emailed to [log in to unmask] Only subscribed
members are allowed to post messages to the list. Attachments (ex:
photographs, documents) are not allowed; the file server will post your
message to the list, less the attachment, if you attempt to send one.

LIST ETIQUETTE

Remember that posts to the MOBirds-L listserv will be seen by all
subscribers. Please follow these etiquette provisions.

1. Remember that MOBirds-L is used to discuss wild bird related
activities and sightings, and things of interest to those who enjoy wild
birds. We do tend to focus on Missouri's wild birds but that is not
mandatory. Advertising of commercial ventures is not allowed. Political
discussions are not allowed.

2. Please be polite and courteous. Keep flames and personal messages off
the list.

3. Always use your real name for signing your postings; "handles" are
not allowed. It is helpful to other list members if you also include
your email address, and city and county of residence, in your signature
block.

4. Give a descriptive Subject Line to all your postings. This also makes
life easier for other subscribers.

5. Discuss only one subject per post. This makes it easier for other
subscribers to file your message in the right folder.

6. Keep your posts short and to the point. When you reply to a message
include only the part of the previous message that is essential to the
reader's understanding of your reply. Do not send "I agree" type
messages; those are the ones with no additional content besides
supporting a previous post.

7. Show restraint in the number of posts you send.

8. On the other hand, don't be bashful or afraid to post a message. All
of us were new to the list at one point in time and we will understand
if you make a mistake while you're learning.

GOOD BIRDING

Susan

Susan Hazelwood, MOBirds-L List Owner

University of Missouri-Columbia