This morning I was finally able to get up to BK Leach CA (Lincoln County) to look for the Golden Eagle Scott Schuette found earlier this week.   This is the area accessed off of Hwy M and referred to as the King's Lake Unit.  After driving around the CA for over 3 hours and observing various ages of Bald Eagles, I found a very large dark brown bird chasing an adult Bald Eagle.  Both birds were pretty distant, but I thought this bird had a pretty good chance at being the Golden.  However, while watching these birds, much closer in my scope is a very long-necked bird about to land.  Then I realized it has a red cap!  Wow, a SANDHILL CRANE just dropped right out of the sky in front of me.   The bird landed in the area just to the west of the treeline on the west edge of BK Leach, possibly in the corn field there, but once the bird landed I was not able to refind it.

  At the same time, I still did not lose sight of the other two birds.  Both birds were getting much closer to me.  The Bald Eagle quickly dropped down and landed in a tree.  And the other bird continued moving toward the waterfowl HQ's.  I could now see it trailing away from me rather well, wings held with a slight dihedral, causing all the waterfowl to scare as he glided over the field.  I zoomed up Norton Woods Road, and got a bit closer to it and was now clearly able to see the golden nape, sure enough, an adult GOLDEN EAGLE.  The bird continued to fly to the northeast toward the tree line along the river where I then I lost it.  (Dave Becher, I tried to find you, but obviously I did not!).  Certainly not a bird I expected to refind.....

  Lastly, at the Keeteman Road sod farms there were 10+ American Golden Plover still present around noon today.  Here is a picture of one of them:

  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10005&pos=0

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Photo Gallery:  http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/index.php?cat=10005