Susan, you should be able to get the pantry pest traps at your local bird
feeding store.  I know there are at least three Wild Bird Centers in St
Louis, and others as well.  They may be a little more $$$ than the online
source, but Home Depot doesn't sell falcon earrings or offer birdwalks!

A good hint for storing seed in a large container like a trash can is to put
a garbage bag in first, then the seed, and when the seed's gone, the garbage
bag can be thrown away so you start fresh with each bag of seed.

The bayleaf trick works better for weevils...they look like crawling niger
seed!  We had a dandy infestation of weevils in the carpet of the room above
the garage.  (I forgot some seed I had there.)  I baited them with cheerios
and vacuumed them up....got rid of them in a couple days.

Be prepared for more moths to appear...the larvae crawl between sheets of
paper or the necks of jars under the cap...someplace safe and tight..to
pupate.  You'll find the webby evidence eventually.  Getting rid of every
moth you can will help, so go into the garage armed with a dustbuster for
any moth you can see flying.  (Yes, you may look a little silly.)  Like most
moths, Indian meal moths are attracted to light, so you may increase your
trapping effectiveness by placing your mealmoth trap next to a small desk
lamp.  You'll only trap the males, though, so killing any moth you can will
help.

If the moths have made it to the kitchen and pantry, don't rely on
ziplocks...larvae chew right through them, and through original packaging
for cereal and pasta and raisins.  Keep an eye out for the webs and/or
larvae when you're opening packages, or for any product with webs clumping
food together.  Hopefully you haven't reached that stage.

Heidi McCullough
Kansas City, MO