OK, y'all, I'm asking for adivce from my many MO birding friends.  What is
the best way to store birdseed for feeders that will discourage the
development of the little larvae that become moths?  I assume the eggs are
in the seed and there's probably no way to prevent that.  But last fall, I
ended up with an oversupply of seed that I couldn't use up fast enough
before the eggs hatched.  Before long, I had little moths flying around the
basement!  My cats enjoy watching the moths fly around, but don't seem too
interested in pursuing them.

We put the containers of seed outside in the frigid cold for several weeks
during the winter, hoping to kill whatever might be inside.  But I actually
found several larvae on the treads of some boots on a storage shelf in the
basement.  So apparently, they have escaped the seed containers and are
having a grand ole time living in my house.  The seed is now stored in the
unheated garage.  We are considering storing it in metal trashcans that I
can keep outside all the time, though wonder if squirrels can still get in
it.

I am also not going to buy seed in great quantities, like the 50-lb. bags of
black oil sunflower seed I usually buy because it's cheaper in large
quantities.  The store where I usually buy seed provides free storage of
seed purchased until I need it.  But I usually buy seed from SLAS too,
because it's a fund-raising event for us.  Then I end up with bags of seed
that sit there for several months before I need it.  Is there any way to
stop the eggs from hatching into the nasty little larvae?  I have stored
small bags of things like peanuts in the freezer, but obviously don't have
room for large bags.

It's not a terrible problem, but we're thinking we may have to have the
house fumigated to get rid of all the critters in different stages of
development.  Then we will have to board the cats, spend the night somewhere
else, etc.  What a pain!

So....do y'all have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO