It was a good day for Waterfowl at Squaw Creek NWR. We drove through a little rain/sleet/snow on the way over, but only had some scattered showers while there. It was chilly though. We found 23 species of Waterfowl, not counting a possible Long-tailed Duck seen flying that could not be relocated. We especially enjoyed seeing all the displaying male Goldeneye, Bufflehead, and Hooded Mergansers, plus a good number of Canvasbacks. Ruddy Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, and Wood Ducks were few and far between. Huge flock of Snow Geese still around and fair number of Gr. White-fronts. There were also a few Pelicans, Pied-billed Grebes, and a bunch of Coots.
    Quite a few Bald Eagles including the nesting pair. Watched another one chase and knock down a single Snow Goose. It and then another one tried repeatedly to pick it out of the water and fly off with it. They were not successful while we were watching.

  Besides Killdeer, and the Greater Yellowlegs reported earlier, found one unexpected  Pectoral Sanpiper. We missed the Wilson's Snipe found by another group of birders.

  Watched a couple of flocks of Rusty Blackbirds in the woods along the North end of the loop. Also seen were couple of flocks of Wild Turkeys and one of about a dozen Pheasants in a field West of Mound City.

  Later, Steve Kinder, Chillicothe, [log in to unmask]