Report for Saturday, March 4, 2006

ST. CHARLES COUNTY
==================

Busch CA

Did not see the Harris's Sparrow at lake 6, but had a very nice scope
study of about 20 RUSTY BLACKBIRDs, including 2 breeding plumage males.

Weldon Spring CA

Heard 2 very vocal FISH CROWs near the Missouri River.  Also listened to
at least 2 WESTERN MEADOWLARKs singing in the cultivated fields near the
river.  There were roughly 20 meadowlarks total, but it was impossible
to tell how many were westerns, except for the two I heard.  I've posted
two so-so photos of one of the westerns that I watched while it sang:
http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/1251206.

1 juvenile RED-SHOULDERED HAWK glided across hwy 94, just in front of
the car.  I could plainly see the buffy crescents in the outer wings.  3
RED-TAILED HAWKs kettled tightly over the "Blue Grosbeak Trail,"
vocalizing impressively.  It was wonderful to hear, but also reminded me
of misused sound effects in TV commercials and dramas.

Also for St. Charles County:

HOODED MERGANSER, 2
TURKEY VULTURE, 3
COOPER'S HAWK, 1
WILSON'S SNIPE, 3
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW, 1
SAVANNAH SPARROW, 3
FOX SPARROW, ~ 5
SONG SPARROW, ~ 30
SWAMP SPARROW, 2
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, ~ 60
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, ~ 20
DARK-EYED JUNCO, ~ 25

ST. LOUIS COUNTY
==================

Rockwoods Reservation

Visited the pinetum at the northern end, along Manchester Rd., just west
of Pond, Missouri.  Saw a small bird dive into the top of one of the
pines about 4:30 p.m.  The bird was silent, so I was lucky to find it by
scanning the tops of the trees and, looking through a window in the
branches and leaves, see that it was a PINE WARBLER.  The bird was
sitting nearly motionless and I watched it for a couple of minutes,
until it moved out of the tree and I lost it.

Also for St. Louis County:

PILEATED WOODPECKER, 1 perched on a pole in Pond, poised and popular
WILD TURKEY, 5, saw while crossing the Daniel Boone bridge over the
Missouri River

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO