Please note deadline extension:
Call for Presentations.  <<Technology<<German Studies>>Feminism>>
Deadline for Submissions: March 30, 2006.
Women in German 31st Annual Conference, Snowbird, Utah, October 19-22, 2006.

We are seeking proposals for 20-minute presentations addressing the latest developments in technology as they affect feminist Germanists. What is new online and how will it challenge us as intellectuals, academics, women, researchers, teachers, and thinkers? We are interested in a broad range of perspectives on technology, from the philosophical to the administrative, from the pedagogical to the personal, but we are especially eager to receive submissions on the following topics:

Online publishing: What does it take to publish and distribute a peer-reviewed electronic journal? How are publications in these journals evaluated by tenure and promotions committees? How can and do articles in online journals differ from those in paper publications?

e-Knowledge? What are the pros and cons of electronic sourcing? Is knowledge increasingly falling under corporate control? If so, who is targeted as the ideal consumer of this knowledge, and what does it cost? How can we adapt Google to the needs of the academic community? How do changes in technology impact the university library’s archival mission? Are certain varieties of knowledge are endangered with the encroachment of electronic databases? Is information stored on outdated devices extinct?

Research: How do we find what we’re looking for? What do we need to know about library search engines? How do we conduct a productive online search and keep track of the results with programs such as Endnote and Refworks? Where are the best digitized resources for Germanists? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using them? The shift to online technologies has enabled new forms of collaboration between individuals and institutions across the globe. What are the possibilities for and the deterrents to teamwork in the world of Germanistik?

Teaching and Technology: What do students know about online research? What should they know? What forms of electronic communication are we obliged to teach students of foreign languages? How can we make the most of course websites and services such as WebCT and Blackboard? How has the language lab adapted to the Internet? What are publishers of language textbooks offering? What can we do with services such as Google Maps, flickr, del.icio.us, blogger.com, facebook, and, ..um.., what are they? What should older people know about how younger people use the Internet, and vice versa? Do male and female students use technology differently? Is there a place for video gaming in the academy?

From the Provost’s Office: How do administrators envision the intersection of technology and higher education? How have computerized record-keeping systems affected faculty productivity? Who is maintaining, financing and controlling websites for academic departments? What are the perceived and real advantages of investing in technology? What is being done to train and hire faculty with the expertise to take advantage of new technologies and where are all of the high-tech classrooms?

Deadline for submissions: March 30, 2006. Please email proposals to both session organizers: Rachel A Freudenburg, Ph.D., Boston College, [log in to unmask] and Jennifer Askey, Ph.D., Kansas State University, [log in to unmask]. Please note: Accepted presenters must be members of Women in German by June 1, 2006. Membership information is available at http://womeningerman.org.

PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail. ******************* The German Studies Call for Papers List Editor: Stefani Engelstein Assistant Editor: Megan McKinstry Sponsored by the University of Missouri Info available at: http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html