Today we enjoyed the company of a birder who began birding here in the seventies and recently took it up again after spending the most recent years in San Diego.  As he had only a half-day, we decided to go to Busch for another Thursday try for the Harris' sparrow.  We started off at the feeders at the Fallen Oak Trail....very warm and windy, and very few birds.  No purple finches, red-breasted nuthatches or brown creeper, so we left to salt the log under which the Saturday group had last seen the sparrow.  On the way, we saw a Red-tail, some Turkey Vultures; one car spotted a Red-shouldered hawk swooping over with a small rodent in his talons, a few robins.  There were a couple of cardinals in the Lake 6 area, but not much else visible so we checked Lake 7 (no red-shouldered) and Lake 33 "shorebird area".  About seven turkey vultures circled overhead.  A swamp and song sparrow were spotted, but no snipe.  We returned to Lake 6 where the cardinals had been joined by some
 White-throated Sparrows, a Red-bellied WP and several Blue Jays.  Vivian heard an Eastern Bluebird which Mark tracked down. A small flock of Yellow-rumps peppered a tree in the area along with a Downy Woodpecker. Two Fox Sparrows dropped in, as well as a Song, young White-crowned, DE Juncos but still no Harris.  We returned to the office for another look at the feeders --White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy WP, Goldfinch, another Red-bellied WP. It was time for Mark to leave, but we gave it one more try after lunch.  Someone had put down cracked corn while we were gone and about 30 seconds after our arrival Missy said There he is.  He/she gave us good looks for the next few minutes.  What a relief!

  We ended the afternoon at Rockwoods in hopes of a Hairy Woodpecker (which we found) and perhaps purple finches, red-breasted nuthatch, pine siskin (which we didn't).
  Time to head for home before we would be caught by the impending cold front and hailstorm.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County