From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 4:43 PM
Subject: FW: Ivory-billed Woodpecker update

----- Original Message -----
  From: Jennifer Smith
  To: [log in to unmask] (LABOFONEWS-L)
  Sent: 2/13/2006 4:31:01 PM
  Subject: Ivory-billed Woodpecker update

  Dear Lab members and friends,

  Some interesting details about the search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker were announced during last week's meeting of the Recovery Team in Brinkley, Arkansas. Leaders of the search cited six visual "possible encounters" in the Big Woods region, reported by members of the search team, birders, hunters, and refuge employees. These encounters keep the search team highly motived and hopeful they are on the right track for locating the bird.

  Click here for more details.

  Note these findings are called "possible encounters." They do not rise to the level of confirmed sightings, which would be materially documented. Search team leaders stress that this is not new confirmation of the bird, but they are encouraged by this flurry of both video and audio activity in a couple of key areas. This information is being used to further guide the search.

  Thanks again for your continued interest in the project.

  Your friends at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.