From: Charlene and Jim Malone <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Swans at REDA - one sick?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:42:54 -0600

On Saturday, I only had 88 swans with one being an adult TUNDRA SWAN.
They were spread out all over then.
The Tundra was in the in largest group along the Confluence Road.
ALSO....
This last week or so, I have noticed that one Trumpeter swan going it alone
from the other swans.
It has been hanging out with some of the C. geese, but basically lounging on
one of the islands in Teal Pond or Ellis Bay.
I observed it swimming around. I've yet to see it fly, but seems to being
flying to get to one body of water to the other, not the long distances that
the others are going.
Do know that there is a problem with these birds getting lead poisoning from
the ingestion of lead sinkers and shot once (still?) used.

Other "stuff".......
A couple of Greater W-F Geese at the end of the day at REDA on Sunday.
Hundreds and hundreds of GWF geese along with bazillion Snow geese and
mallards were at Clarence Cannon before the cold.
Thousands of waterfowl at Winfield after the cold snap, all over on the IL
side around the duck blinds.
Better looks would have been from the IL side where there is an observation
platform, but don't know how to get there besides crossing the ferry and
turning left instead of right.
Anyone know what road to take to get down there?
Thanks.

Good birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.