Bob, I think perhaps you left McComas Road just a little too early! Next time give the owls a few more minutes to appear!

  The last time I was there I thought the Short-eared Owls were not going to show, as it was getting rather dark and there were still a couple Northern Harriers flying around. I believe it was about 5:30 PM (maybe a little later) when the last of the harriers roosted and the Short-eared Owls came out, flying about and sitting on the various fence posts.

Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I took a spin around Smithville. I did not see the lighter Glaucous at the
Little Platte Marina, but the darker one was loafing with other gulls on the
sandspit off the Camp Branch Marina.

Male Goldeneye were doing their head bobbing courtship display just off the
dam.

I made a second attempt to get Short-eared Owls at McComas Rd., again
without success. The first time I went, it was a clear day. I arrived at
dusk and saw nothing. Today was very overcast. I arrived at about 4:35 p.m.
and left at 5:20 p.m. 7-8 N. Harriers were flying around and roosting on the
gtround, but no SEOW.

What gives? Am I doing something wrong, or are the reports of 7-9 SEOWs
there really of N. Harriers? If there are 7-9 Short-eared Owls there, at
least a few of them should have been up and about in the late afternoon of a
day as dark as this one. If there are that many harriers there, there must
be plenty of food for Short-eared Owls.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County