This morning Dr. John Rushin, Tom Nagel and I ventured forth in the rain to drive up to the Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge at Mound City. There seemed to be Bald Eagles in almost every tree bordering the impoundment waters and atop every other muskrat mound. There were Snow Geese, Canada Geese, Mallards and other ducks at various locations as we drove the ten mile loop encircling the different pools. Towards the south end of the loop we discovered a pair of American Black Ducks in the company of a pair of Mallards. We were able to study and compare them for several minutes at quite close range before they all swam leisurely away from us. Other waterfowl encountered: Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Common Goldeneye, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Common and Hooded Mergansers.

  We saw about 30 American Coot, one lone Ring-billed Gull, some American Tree, Song and White-crowned Sparrows. One Belted Kingfisher was also seen as we were driving south around the tour loop road.

  The light rain continued in "fits and spurts" but we decided to go up to Mozingo Lake and try for the reported Snow Buntings. After a "Colonel's" satisfing chicken dinner at Maryville, we departed for the lake. Arriving at the camping area, we disembarked from Dr. John's Toyota and began to survey the surrounding area. Within minutes Tom and John beckoned me to look at the top "roof" railing of the nearby fishing pier. There they were, five Snow Buntings, seemingly not minding us or the drizzly conditions.

  After watching them for a while we headed for Saint Joseph and home, as the lake itself was entirely empty of any waterfowl.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County