I've just returned from Eagle Bluffs CA, Boone Co.

I spent 30-45 minutes studying the two immature swans in the
Distribution Channel.  The lighting was excellent; the birds were about
80 yards away.  I used my scope at about 50 power.

I am NOT a swan expert.  My observations:

1.  The two birds are not the same size.
2.  The smaller bird is much grayer.
3.  The smaller bird has an angle to the bill as it leaves the gape and
goes up the face.  (See Sibley, p.73)
4.  The larger bird does not exhibit this angle.
5.  The shape of the bill across the forehead is not the same for the
two birds (see Sibley)

I believe the smaller, grayer bird is the one several of us observed
being harassed by the Mute Swans in December prior to the Christmas Bird
Count, as it matches the characteristics observed at that time.  I feel
certain it is a Tundra Swan.

The larger, whiter bird is, I think, a Trumpeter Swan.

I encourage others to observe the two and report their observations.

Also present at Eagle Bluffs today were 5 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Northern
Harriers, many hundreds of Mallards, at least 200 Green-winged Teal, a
couple hundred Canada Geese (2 smaller than the others, but of
intermediate size--not small enough for Cackling), 1 Greater
White-fronted Goose, 2 American Black Ducks, Northern Shovelers,
Northern Pintails, Gadwall; 3 Lesser Scaup and 1 Common Goldeneye (all
four flew to an area behind a levee and out of sight); numerous Swamp,
Savanna and Song Sparrows.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO