The only person who has never misidentified a bird is someone who has never identified one.  I know that I have been caught in plenty of mistakes over the years and that is only the ones that I know about.  The important thing is to learn what you can from your mistakes.  I like to think that I make a better class of misidentifications these days.
On the question of telling Red-shouldered Hawk from Broad-winged Hawk in flight the quickest way is to look at the wings.  A Broad-wing has white flight feathers with black tips giving the impression of a white wing with a black outline.  The flight feathers on a Red-shouldered are barred with a white patch (window) near the wing tip.  A Red-shouldered also has thinner more numerous bars in the tail.  Although it is unlikely here, another similar bird is Gray Hawk.  In flight it can look very like a Broad-wing except that the body and wing coverts are gray rather than rufous tinged.
I agree with Mike that most Broad-wing reports after September are probably mistakes, but the possibility of birds that failed to migrate on time or got lost cannot be ignored.  Any Broad-winged Hawk in the winter should be documented as well as possible and submitted to the rare birds committee.

David Becher
Saint Louis