Great Shots of the SEOW, Josh!

Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  January 5, 2005
St. Charles County
Riverlands M.B.R

This morning before work I saw the SHORT-EARED OWL at Riverlands M.B.R., not a bird often seen at Riverlands these days. The bird was observed hunting the grassy field along Riverlands Way, right next to the road between the maintenance buildings and Heron Pond from 7 to about 7:45 AM. It was extremely cooperative, so I managed to get a couple photos that I posted at the following links:

http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=7

http://www.surfbirds.com/albums/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=8

Can not say I saw much else, and the number of gulls seemed to have dropped dramatically now that the ice is gone.

Regarding raptor ID books. Have not had much time to look at it, however I got a new book for Christmas I had not even heard of, apparently it just came out, titled, "Hawks from Every Angle" by Jerry Liguori. The book is directed at identifying raptors in flight.

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO