I did not have any feeders out during the summer and fall of 2005. I refilled the feeders over a month ago and have had barely any birds coming to the feeders. Except for December 22, 2005 (when we had about 40 birds), I estimate that we have had perhaps a dozen birds that came to the feeders - during that entire month of December. I have never had the feeders avoided for that long a period of time. I do not know what is going on! My feeders, after a month of being out, are still full.

  I have Black Oil Sunflower, Nyger and shelled peanuts in four different feeders.

"Debra F. Nichols" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Has anyone else had exceptionally low numbers (and number of species) at
their feeders this winter? Our backyard is all wooded and I'm wondering if
the natural food supply is more abundant than usual. I feed the same food as
every year--peanuts, suet, sunflowers, nyger, etc.

I haven't seen a Cooper's (or sharpie) that seems to be guarding. Any
thoughts?

Debbie Nichols
Hannibal, MO
Marion County