This afternoon, added Hairy Woodpecker, Common Grackle, SEEN Carolina Wren (which had been my first Heard bird of 2006 at 7am Sunday morning while my car battery was dying in Jane Allen's driveway on the way to the Orchard Farm CBC) to my 2006 list from the comfort of inside Powder Valley's main building.

  Unfortunately, my fourth viewing of the Townsend's Solitaire failed to come to fruition.  Believe it was lurking inside the viburnum bush at Meramec, but short of actually beating the bush (no, I would not risk driving it from its roost) I could not be sure as I did not catch sight of the white eye rings on the bird that was hiding there.  Three other birders that had gathered there for their first viewing vowed to return early tomorrow morning.  Anne and Rosie also returned home, making do with their morning sighting.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County