We ended up with 14 RSHA after the final tally on the Swan Lake count. The previous high number was 4! There was 79 species found when all reports were in. There were 18 other species with high counts for this circle! The 13 Pileated Woodpeckers tied the previous high. Most significant was the 48 Carolina Wrens. The high count had been 21 in 1998! I knew I had been hearing more CAWR around this area lately but was still surprised to have that kind of increase on the count. Think some of the high species count may have been due to nice weather and birders getting out and finding them better. Still think it indicates a trend and reflects on milder winters as many of the birds with higher numbers are ones less cold hardy. Besides RSHA, and CAWR these included Robins, Bluebirds, both Kinglets, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Oddly we only had 3 Mockingbirds? The high count is only 7 though way back in 1977. Interesting to compare numbers over time and to CBCs in other areas.

  Later, Steve Kinder, Chillicothe