 Recieved some e-mails about the long-eared  and great hornd owls at LCC.Both
species are present there now.
 Not to continue the mis-id thread but long-eared/great horned is another id
scenario than can cause havoc sometimes.
 With good views the mind blowing yellow eyes of long eards ,I think ,are the
best field mark.A close encounter with a pair of long-eared owl eyes staring
back at ya is not forgotten! With a not so good view or dim light the ear
tufts of long-eards appear to be over the center of the head as opposed to the
"side horns" of a great horned.Great horned is a larger bird and "thick' set
where a long eared is about cooper hawk size and appears very slim when perched.
 Another  way to tell the birds apart I have found personally is by the way
these two owls flush.Great-horns will often fly up from its perch and give
several heavy wingbeats as it takes off.Long-eareds seem to flush and fly off
almost accipter like sometimes.They take off. with a few quick wing beats then
soar .I have found that they usually fly a short distance unlike a great horned
which often will fly a good distance before dropping onto another perch
 Think I saw a post today where some birders had 2 or 3 great horns at LCC
near where the long-eards owls were last week.Unfortuntely great horns love
preying upon other owls for food be it screech,barn, or long-eared.If one finds a
great horn in an area there is a good chance  the long-eard was dinner or they
have moved into another thicket that is great-horned free
 Couple of years ago I found a pretty big roost of about a dozen long eards
at LCC.They hung out in the area for about a month then their numbers started
dropping until finally I couldnt find any by about mid Feb.There were however
about 5 great hornd owls that had taken up residence in the same willow thicket
the long-eared roost was in
-Mike Brady