Amen to Mike Brady's comments.  The Missouri wintering Broad-winged Hawk
dilemna existed far before MoBirds ever existed.
  When Richard Anderson and I were first assigned in 1967 by the ASM to
compile an Annotated Check-list of Missouri Birds, we were surprised by the
various reports in THE BLUEBIRD (and other local, state bird journals) of
wintering Broad-winged Hawks in the state.  All reports we were able
to "chase down" were usually Red-shouldered Hawks; this, plus our own
experience, plus that of other Missouri birders, plus what the literature
stated, obviously made us shy away from such records (no
photographic/physical evidence or documentation).  If I remember correctly,
our first 1967 check-list listed the Broad-winged Hawk as HYPOTHETICAL in
winter, but in future check-list revisions we deleted any winter status for
Missouri Broad-winged Hawks.  It should be noted that the current Annotated
Check-list of Missouri Birds lists the Broad-winged Hawk as Tc; SRu(s), r
(n), again, still no winter status.  I suspect it will take at least a
photograph to convince the MBRC of a winter bird.
  Let me clarify by stating that I am not saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to
observe a Broad-winged Hawk during winter in Missouri, only IMPROBABLE.
After so many years, excellent documentation (like the photographed winter
bird in New Jersey) would seem to be only reasonable for this Missouri bird
(semi-difficult-to-identify species) in winter.
  Last, I find it a little difficult to equate a wintering Missouri Cape
May Warbler with a wintering Missouri Broad-winged Hawk.  Wintering Cape
May Warblers have been well documented in our state (our current check-list
lists as Tu(e), r(w); WV ca) and surrounding states.

David

Dr. David A. Easterla, Ph.D.
Distinguished University Professor of Biology
Curator of Birds, Mammals, Herptiles, and Vertebratae Paleontology
Northwest Missouri State University
800 University Drive
Maryville, Missouri  64468