Got to the marsh in the pre-dawn minutes and started walking the trail. I
immediately had an owl fly overhead and land in a tree in the grove just
south of the trail before you actually reach the marshy area. It was still
too dark to make out anything other than shape. By its size, posture and
"ear tufts" I'd have to call it a Great Horned Owl. It did not vocalize and
it flew away through the trees before it got light enough to see more
clearly.

I then walked the trail and ended up north of the ballfields were I spotted
a lone LONG-EARED OWL perched at the far end of a line of trees to the
southeast of the dilapitated building that used to house restrooms. It flew,
but in scanning for it I came upon a KRIDER'S RED-TAILED HAWK. This bird was
super white but was deifnitely a red-tailed hawk. I had good looks at it
perched and in flight.

In the long willow grouping west of the marsh, I had both BARRED OWL and
GREAT HORNED OWL.

Other birds of note: EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, BOB-WHITE QUAIL, AMERICAN TREE
SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, SWAMP SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.

On a related note, I had parked near the maintenance sheds beyond the golf
range. As I was walking back to my car, a county parks cop pulled up and
mentioned that someone had called about the car and the area back there is
closed to parking. He said they thought I might be a hunter. He advised that
birders should park in the parking lot across the main road from the driving
range.

Later,
Shawn Clubb
Collinsville, Madison Co., Ill.