This song became popular again last year (I think) when a film was made about the boxer, which I haven't seen.  This was one of Dylan's song against social injustice and certainly revived public opinion.
Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Kate Troy
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: Carlos William Carlos

I read an interesting book this weekend, The Writings of William Carlos Williams, Publicity for the Self.  Carlos'  thoughts and relationships as to Eliot, Pound and Stevens and vice versa are explored, but the main focus of the book is the rather deep and complex relationship between Carlos and his initial and longtime publisher, James Laughlin, who began New Directions.  I believe that practically everyone on this list would enjoy the book.
I remember years ago, when Bob Dylan came out with that song about an allegedly innocent heavyweight fighter believed to responsible for a double murder, and I can't remember the title of the song at the moment.  I think it was named for the fighter.  But, anyway, the song received a lot of radio play at the time.  Yes, It was called Hurricane something, which was the fighter's nickname.  Anyway, at the time, I remember thinking that there was something about the song that demanded my attention, more than the obvious, and I couldn't for awhile pin down what it was that was disturbing me about that song.  Then, one day in my car, the song came on the radio and I realized what it was:  The double murder allegedly penetrated by the fighter had taken place in Patterson, and Dylan named Patterson in his song.
By the way, the fighter won a sudden appeal for a re-trial and there's no doubt that Dylan's work had a lot to do with it.

Regards,

Kate (on an unbelievably sultry and warm night in Florida)