Dear cr mittal,

Great to get the translations.  Thanks so much.  Somebody asked just recently if Eliot did his own translation - did he?  Are there versions extant?  Or were those poems left in French with Eng trans in both the Knopf & the Woolfe publications?

Rita Kelly
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">cr mittal
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:41 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot's French Poems in POEMS 1920

Translated* into English, Melange Adultere de Tout reads:

An Odd Mixture

In America, a professor;
In England, a journalist;
You will have to stride along and sweat
Barely keeping pace with me in my tracks.
In Yorkshire, a lecturer;
In London, somewhat of a banker,
You will very much make fun of me.
It's in Paris that I wear a black cap
Of one who couldn't care less.
In Germany, a philosopher
Overexcited by a sense of elation
In the grand air of a mountaineer;
I wander always here and there
And get lost in fleshpots
From Damascus to Omaha.
I celebrate my birthday
In an oasis of Africa
Wearing a giraffe skin.
They'll point out to my cenotaph
On the burning coast of Mozambique.

*Translation by Professor S. Jathaul, former Chairman, Department of French,
Panjab University, Chandigarh (India)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.