Dear cr mittal,

Great to get the translations.  Thanks so much.  Somebody asked just recently if Eliot did his own translation - did he?  Are there versions extant?  Or were those poems left in French with Eng trans in both the Knopf & the Woolfe publications?

Rita Kelly
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: cr mittal
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:41 AM
  Subject: Re: Eliot's French Poems in POEMS 1920

  Translated* into English, Melange Adultere de Tout reads:

  An Odd Mixture

  In America, a professor;
  In England, a journalist;
  You will have to stride along and sweat
  Barely keeping pace with me in my tracks.
  In Yorkshire, a lecturer;
  In London, somewhat of a banker,
  You will very much make fun of me.
  It's in Paris that I wear a black cap
  Of one who couldn't care less.
  In Germany, a philosopher
  Overexcited by a sense of elation
  In the grand air of a mountaineer;
  I wander always here and there
  And get lost in fleshpots
  From Damascus to Omaha.
  I celebrate my birthday
  In an oasis of Africa
  Wearing a giraffe skin.
  They'll point out to my cenotaph
  On the burning coast of Mozambique.

  *Translation by Professor S. Jathaul, former Chairman, Department of French,
  Panjab University, Chandigarh (India)