Having known Caroll for more than two years through
this list, it doesn’t surprise me that he reduces the
entire content of the article to a ‘whine’ (Leavis
whined! Really?) than look at some disturbing facts it
expresses.  It is a simple truth that intelligent
human beings were *critical* of certain standards of
life; in fact, it is the very responsibility of an
artist to point out values in life; if they be
construed as nostalgic whine, well, what to say !

--- Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To all such expressions of nostalgia for the "good
> old days" the best
> antidote I know are Chapters 2, "A Problem of
> Perspective" and 3,
> "Pastoral and Counter-Pastoral" in Raymond Williams,
> _The Country and
> the City_. All the way from Leavis back to Hesiod
> the whine (though
> often beautifully expressed) is the same --
> something has been lost just
> before our time. Oh woe! Oh woe!
>
> Carrol

Just $16.99/mo. or less.