Tom Colket wrote:

> Ken Armstrong wrote:
>
> >I have to admit that when I saw the suggestion of a Bel Esprit scheme for
> >Debra San's four paragraphs, it was dispiriting. They were nice, but that's
> >all it takes? We don't require much, do we. And should much
> >arrive....well, that takes us back to '98.
> >
> >Ken A.
>
> Ken, a few comments:
>
> 1) Debra San's post on "Lune de Miel" was not her first post to the list,
> nor her first post of that quality. I save the TSE posts that I'm likely to
> want to reference again, and most of her posts make the "save" list. I'll
> bet Rick was reacting along the lines of "Hey, here's _another_ good post
> from Debra" -- I know that's how I reacted.

Debra's post showed respect for the text and its place among literary
works. I suppose what Ken objects to is that she treated Eliot as a
poet, and a poet in fact who practiced the principle that poetry should
be as well written as prose, but she did not treat him as an oracle or
an icon before which one bowed in awe. I find such attempts to turn
poets into oracles to be a bloody bore.

We need many more posters like Debra, far fewer who only come to
worship.

Carrol