Hi,

I would certainly agree with Peter that royalism is closely connected with
tribalism when we take the longer view. (Perhaps shorter-term also if we
look at the tabloids, the royals and association football!!  Bread and
circuses indeed!)
But I feel we are not going to get an real insight per se into Eliot's
politics or credos just by a short Chorus offering -
as we wouldn't really get an insight into the personal stances of Euripedes
et al either.  It is a  dramatic technique, quite aware of itself, it is
there primarily to comment on the play itself.  a built-in critical
apparatus rather than a vehicle for carrying large swarthes of theme and
conflict.
It raises all the creative/technical issues of how much, if any, of the
writer is involved in their characters?

It may also be on interest to look at the make-up of the Chorus - were they
always women?  But that's another road perhaps.

Best regards,

Rita Kelly