What "muck"?  Cultural Studies is all over the place, and there are,
after all, reviews.  And Eliot wrote books, not only reviews and
articles.  This does not answer my question, though of course you
needn't do so.  Should there be no more books because they are demanding
and longer term as well as addressing longer perspectives?
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/08/06 6:45 PM >>>
Oh they're all alive in their own interesting glass
bubble alright, but where is their influence on the
actual productions. They're the centaurs with torsos
facing backwards. There seem to be plenty of cliche
minded Amos and Andy reviewers on TV. Why aren't the
people with deeper, broader backgrounds there? Eliot,
Pound &c were commenting to the public on what the
public was involved with. They were facing what was
coming, not what has been. It takes three years to
produce a half-decent book. That medium is ineffective
when things are produced and changed so quickly. Getting
one's name on the spine of a book feels a lot nicer
than getting into the muck of cultural productions as
they happen.

P.

Quoting Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>:

> It would no doubt be curious if it were true.  But given whole
> departments in communication who do just this and great numbers of
> English academics who study popular culture--including tv and
> movies--and write about it and give papers on it,  just who are you
> talking about?
>
> Given our ostensible ON topic, one might note the many references to
> cinema, Chaplin, and television in David Chinitz's book on _T. S.
Eliot