Eliot sightings (and a peek at Bloom too:)

Once again the "Ideas" section of the Sunday edition of the "Boston
Globe" has something for us TSE listers.  The article, "Poets, Inc."
starts on the first page of the section (p. K1) and is also posted on
the newspaper's website at page:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/01/08/poets_inc/

The first few paragraphs are cut and pasted below but they are not
necessarily the best.

Another Eliot sighting appeared on page K8 in a review of a biography
of H.L. Mencken, "Mencken: The American Iconoclast."  It mentioned
that Mencken promoted Eliot, among others.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

Poets, Inc.
Can a big pot of money - and a savvy marketing plan - make poetry matter
again?
By Wesley Yang  |  January 8, 2006

THREE YEARS ago, a pharmaceutical heiress made Poetry magazine, the
venerable monthly that discovered T.S. Eliot, Wallace Stevens, William
Carlos Williams, and Marianne Moore, the richest literary journal in
the history of the world. The sum of $175 million, given by Ruth
Lilly, made the subject of poetry into news fit to print in just about
every newspaper in America.

The sum's vastness enticed some poets into imaginative flight. The
poet Rafael Campo rhapsodized in an opinion piece in the Globe that a
''Poetry Palace" built with the gift might come to house ''factory
workers and firefighters, immigrants, and descendents of slaves," and
that ''such a rich community of poetry-lovers could truly repair this
broken planet." In the London Independent, Campbell McGrath had a more
modest but (as it turns out) no less fanciful wish: ''I hope that, as
much as possible, Poetry will find a way to call up individual poets
and say, 'You're not going to believe this, but we're going to give
you money."'

Of course, some in the literary world have declined to get caught up
in the excitement. ''We have thousands of very bad poets in the
USA. There are also 20 or so good ones," writes eminent Yale critic
Harold Bloom in a recent e-mail. ''All that money should be used to
fight poverty and illness here and abroad."