It would no doubt be curious if it were true.  But given whole
departments in communication who do just this and great numbers of
English academics who study popular culture--including tv and
movies--and write about it and give papers on it,  just who are you
talking about?

Given our ostensible ON topic, one might note the many references to
cinema, Chaplin, and television in David Chinitz's book on _T. S. Eliot
and the Cultural Divide_.  Eliot himself--in early letters--wrote comic
descriptions of the cinema he said he planned.  And the Modern Studies
Association has fascinating sessions on all kinds of cultural topics.
One of the most interesting I attended at the last conference was on
typewriters and the way they were represented, and there was a session
on cinema and WWI.

So who ARE these oblivious, blind, and elitist but gifted folk?

It is an interesting fact about Eliot (a minor digression) that he was
interested in the new and read everything and did not idealize what had
been said half a century before him--certainly not even in "Tradition
and the Individual Talent."  He was deeply engaged in the new thought of
his time and the disruption of general assumptions.  Nor did he defer to
any of his immediate predecessors:  whether one agrees with him on any
given point or not, it was his own point and it was part of the
discourse of his time.
Nancy
P.S.  Is it not dogmatic to state great generalizations as curious, a
pity, and certain?  Especially when they are disconnected from any
evidence?  My own curiousity only.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/07/06 9:36 PM >>>
Curious that the critical faculty tends not to be exercised
by those who have honed it, on the cultural matters that
do command people's attention such as movies and television shows.
One gets the impression that such a pursuit is beneath those
gifted folk. If so, it is a pity, for the function of criticism
could be valuably exercised in that arena. I'm certain that
the followers of the hirsute clay spinner would be very
enthusiastic about it.

Cheers,
Peter