From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. on behalf of Rickard A. Parker
Sent: Sun 29-Jan-06 6:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bleistein + Sandburg?

"Loucks, James" wrote:

> Interesting, Robert. I do recall that Sandburg had some nasty things
> to say about TSE, for the usual reason: he had turned his back on
> America.

Eliot on Sandburg and America in 1922:

I am told that Mr Sandburg is now the great American representative
poet. Some of his smaller verse is charming; but appears to be rather
an echo of Mr Pound, who has done it better. In his more ambitious
verse, however, there is just the same surrender as in England, to
what the people want. You must talk about America, just as here you
must talk about England: only, there are different things to say. It
is necessary to pretend that England is a green and pleasant land; at
present, you need not say that America is pleasant, you can make it
infernal; but you must make out that it is big, that it is new, that
it contains the germs of a colossal growth. And beneath this there is
commonplace and conventionality. Mr Sandburg may blame the anthology,
but there it is.

Eliot, T.S.  'London Letter,' The Dial, New York, vol. LXXII, no. 5,
(May, 1922) pp. 510-513

http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/tseliot/works/london-letters/london-letter-1922-05.html#paragraph-7