From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. on behalf of robert meyer
Sent: Sun 29-Jan-06 2:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bleistein + Sandburg? (was: Rick's Bel Esprit campaign)

Jim, after all the discussion of several years back, I never thought of
Sandburg's poem "Chicago" (apparently published in 1916).  A lot of images
in it, from the first line ("Hog Butcher for the World") to "your painted
women" (= "...blue-nailed...hand"?) to "Under the smoke, dust all over his
mouth...Under the terrible burden of destiny, laughing..." (= "The smoky
candle end of time / Declines."?), seem surprisingly enough to be echoed in
the TSE poem.

Robert Meyer

American ("money in furs" would suggest St. Louis rather than Chicago, by
the way) who is also a Semite (Jew) whose ancestors came from Vienna, which
happens to have been virulently anti-Semitic in its past; hence he is a Jew
of the diaspora, who has in effect "returned" to Europe as a rich
capitalist in a capitalist city, Venice. Browning, in "A Toccata of
Galuppi's" (set in Venice) mentions "Shylock's Bridge," and TSE alludes to
that poem in his epigraph ("Dear dead women, with such hair too").
Bleistein's cigar, obviously a phallic symbol, adds to the
rich-capitalist-semite caricature. TSE deserves Anthony Julius's criticism
for such blatant stereotyping (which one can see is equally raw form in
Gatsby). --  Jim Loucks