Panel seeks to explore commonalities and (dis-) continuities construction of Europe in literary and philosophical texts around 1800 (mainly, but not exclusively) by writers affiliated with Romanticism and textual constructions of Europe in German-language writing today. Questions that may be asked include, but are not limited to: Do writers at both junctures use similar “anchors” (e.g. religion, symbolic language, particular metaphors)? How do they engage the non-European world? Is “Europe” merely an idea or fiction? How does Europe relate to the nation/the transnational? Will consider comparisons made in one paper and/or attempt to establish comparison through the sequence of papers in the panel.

Please contact me asap if you are interested, and send formal proposals no later than February 5. If I cannot accept your proposal for the session, I'll let you know early,  with sufficient time to submit as individual paper.

Birgit Tautz
Department of German
Bowdoin College
Brunswick, ME 04011