I took a look around Dunn Ranch and Pawnee Praire C.A. late afternoon after celebrating Christmas with my sister and family at Hatfield. I always enjoy seeing the praires this time of year with all the cool colors of the grasses. A bonus this time was listening to the wind blow the seed pods of the Wild Indigo plants. They had been blown up along a fence line and as I walked they rattled all along the way. Made me think that Native Americans must have heard this too and then used them for music and dance.
   Saw a Rough-legged Hawk and couple of Northern Harriers across the road south of Dunn as we were on the way this morning. This afternoon I watched a group of eight Harriers hunting over Pawnee, most of the time facing into the stiff north wind, hovering and holding. One Short-eared Owl was up flying high above them. At Dunn Ranch I saw a striking dark phase Rough-legged Hawk. Then while walking down the ridge a flock of about 30 Greater Praire Chickens whirred across in front of me. A couple of Kestrals were on the lines near hyw M. and a Redtail. On the West side from hyw D I saw seven Harriers flying over the grassland. I watched as 4 or 5 took turns diving on a Praire Falcon perched on a fence post. It didn't stay there long. This is near the same area one almost landed on my head last winter. After all the recent sightings I kind of expected one to be around. Maybe more? Was surprised did not see any SEOW at Dunn, but they may have been at other parts of the Praire. Did not
 see any Shrikes the short time I was there. Hopefully there are still some around. Kind of concerned after we found none for the first time ever on the Grand River CBC. I think Larry said they didn't get any on the St. Joe CBC either.

   Merry Christmas to All!,  Steve and Dianne